I have two gas fireplaces in the house.
The first one is a gas log insert in an old wood burning fireplace. If the
damper is open it puts out no heat at all. if the damper is closed it will
run you out of the room. This is the type that was designed to be ventless
so it's okay for the combustion products to come out into the room. But be
aware that there is such in these combustion products.
The second fireplace is a direct vent where the chimney is a coaxial metal
structure with hot air going up the inner pipe and air for combustion
coming down between the inner and outer pipe. There is also a blower motor
that blows room air around the firebox to extract more heat. This is a
sealed unit with a glass front. I think it is about 50% efficient. As
above, so it is produced in deposit itself on the inside of the glass such
that it needs to be cleaned every few months.
Overall, the direct vent is a much cleaner and more satisfactory situation
in my opinion.but if you really want to produce a lot of heat something
like a Franklin stove would be ideal I think.