> Andrew wrote:

> Someone abandoned a rather attractive urn-shaped rain barrel
> which has a crack in the bottom of the base and won't hold water.

> The barrel is made of  polypropylene

Plastic weld cause nothing really sticks to polypropylene.

> She suggested a plastic welder with a rod of polypropylene might
> do the trick.

I know of nothing else that might work.

>  Anyone had any success withusing a plastic welder on
> polypropylene?

Polypropylene welds fairly nicely.  I don't have a "real" welder -
I use a soldering iron (but NOT the same tip I use for
soldering).  Finding matching filler material can sometimes be
tricky.  I have better success if I can work both sides - which
may be hard on a rain barrel.  Like any other welding, clean is
good.  Heat both sides of the crack until it's molten - but for
most plastics no more heat than that!  Heat the filler with it,
pushing the filler and the base material around to get the parts
to flow together.  Often it's helpful to apply pressure as it
cools.  A screwdriver can work.

I find it much easier to weld metal.