yes, that is  how the book does it.  are you saying there are no paint marks left or are you saying you have not looked at them?  The paint marks have been very durable but it is now 53 years since they were put on.

it all depends on the ride height you want.  When I did the springs on 111s, I went with the taxi version, but that IS higher than stock.  from what little I remember, I think I used 12-15mm thick.  Stock is in the 8-12mm range top and bottom.  One thing you could do is order 3 pairs for one end of the car, say 8, 10 and 12 for the front.  Use the 2 pairs you determine most likely to be exact replacement, and finish that end.  Repeat for the other end.

Otherwise take one corner apart, and look over the parts.  The springs will be sprung, but you should be able to find evidence of the paint marks.  On the rubber seats, the markings are hidden until you take them out.  Without spring pressure, the pretty much fall out.  So if you do one front and one rear, you should have the info you need.  Leave it on jack stands until the parts come in or put it back together.  it does not take that long to drop out a spring, look at it, then put it back together, but I'd just leave it apart until the parts come in.   The rear is particularly easy to drop out a spring as long as you have a floor jack.

I put air bags in the rear springs of my 200D in the yard of a nuns house in KY in December, on grass without a floor jack.  It is that easy to drop out the rear springs and put them back.