I wish I could shoot off the back deck...
I went over to the range today, took the .54 muzzle loader, I'd carried it
though hunting season and wanted to discharge. Fired 5 shots (the loaded one
plus the 4 reloads I carried) and kept all the shots on the paper offhand at 50
yards, I was pleased.
Then worked on my 1853 Enfield replica. I'd tried it on Labor day but it
wouldn't go off. Some testing suggests the load (40 grains) was too light so I
upped to 50. That seemed to work but would sometimes missfire, 60 grains proved
reliable. After some messing around I found a point of aim that worked (165
year old sight design isn't the best) and put 3 shots into the black. I'm super
pleased. Next time out I need to take some files so I can start reforming the
sights to make something that will put the sights picture in the right place.
Overall not a bad day at the range.
-Curt

    On Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 2:38:26 PM EST, Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes