China also has some of the worst air pollution in the world...
-Curt

    On Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 5:19:01 PM EST, Meade Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 Part of the issue is that China, free of the environmental regulation, can
produce electricity at a lower cost than we can.  Cheaper power leads to a
lower cost basis for everything produced with that power (steel, aluminum,
iPhones, lithium batteries, solar panels) so they are trading off the huge
environmental cost for the ability to dominate global manufacturing (note
that other factors like really cheap labor and currency manipulation also
play a big role in the Chinese dominance).

No easy solution.  No I don't think that we should try to match them in
building new coal fired power plants, but we also should not handicap our
economy by preventing any new coal plants to be built.  A modern society
must have access to energy in order to grow and prosper, and that has to be
balanced against factors including the environmental cost of generating
that power.  Nuclear and natural gas are much better choices than coal,
wind and solar simply do not have the power density to realistically
provide our base load power needs.  All those solar panels on your roof
Andrew, have you calculated how much of the power they provide to supply
just your house?  One quarter of the annual power load?  One half?  Where
is the rest of the power going to come from?  How about at night and on
cloudy days?
Max
Charleston SC

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 2:13 PM Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <