That's what I was talking about, and seemingly a gift to extractors unless the
lands in question are farther from roads and harder to access than the typical
private oil and gas lease sites.

Percentage depletion, almost always 15% of revenue, is just a way of
simplifying depletion (think depreciation) of the land rights you own outright,
not a subsidy to anybody.
Example: I lease my land for $20/acre plus 25% of what they get. When I do my
taxes, I deduct 15% of my 25% for depletion (3.75% of actual oil sold), deduct
my interest and property taxes, and pay income tax on what's left.

Mitch.