Hi Gang,
    Had a power outage recently (Jan 1) and used our Troybilt Portable Generator (with a Briggs & Stratton engine) so we didn't lose the stuff in out freezer.  So a few hours into the outage, we were going to bed and could hear the generator cranking away.   An hour or 2 later, I heard the engine note change to a higher pitched noise, then within 10 seconds it abruptly turned off.  Hoping it was low on fuel or the low oil switch had caused the engine to shutdown, we checked both, but unfortunately, neither was the problem.  One possibility is the Low Oil Level Switch may have malfunctioned.  Looking at the wiring diagram I see a little black box with a couple of wires.  I'd like to test that black box somehow (if I can find it) but I'm not sure how to do that.  Do I test the resistance? Continuity? Something else?

    The generator only has about 6 hours on it, but we bought it in 2012 so it's long out of Warranty.  I'm not even sure what that box does.  The information stuff that came with the Generator was a bit weak.  It came with a Owners Manual which basically told how to run it. Then the usual warranty info, but that's about it.

    All the electronics that has crept into our lives is great as long as it works.   When it stops, it's a bitch!
LarryT

--
LarryT
Youroil.net