Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> I once had a flat battery at the airport due to an interior light left
> on. It took a long time for the service truck to put enough power back
> in for my '85 190D to start...

Similar with the '83 300D.

It was about 15 degrees, nighttime, and I knew the battery was near the
end of its life but hadn't had time to replace it. After returning from
a two day trip, got back to the aiport parking area and tried to start
the car; it gave one grunt and that was it. I suspect that even the
current draw of the clock might be enough to tip the start/no-start
balance on a marginal battery left in the cold for a few days, but on
the other hand clocks like that can run on one AA battery for months so
maybe not.

Parking service truck shows up with one of those little hand-held jump
start battery packs. I laughed and said we're going to need more than
that.

He plugged in a heavy set of cables to a socket on the front of his
F-250 and hooked them up. His engine started laboring a bit, so it
seemed current was flowing. Would not start the car immediately, but
after letting it charge for 10-15 minutes, and declining his offer of a
shot of starting fluid, it fired up.

Luckily my fuel, glow plugs and valve adjustments were all good.

Allan