Replace the test lamp with a cheap multimeter (free from Harbor Freight
sometimes) in the current measuring mode (amps). the current value is
easier top read than how bright the bulb in the test light is. If the
current is really too high, it will fry the multimeter, but it was cheap
remember, and now you KNOW there is a large current draw somewhere that
should not be there.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Jim Cathey via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The test lamp will be seriously impacting the voltage that the whatsit will
> be getting, enough that it might not finish initializing correctly.  I
> find it best
> not to provoke the situation.
>
> Yes, the brightness of the test lamp (and these are standard tools, cheap,
> not something you have to homebrew) tells you how much current is being
> drawn.  But the most the test lamp will allow is about 1A, and at that the
> car will basically be getting zero voltage.  Ohm's law, etc.
>
> The glow plugs being on are easy to detect with the multimeter, just see if
> the plugs are getting any voltage when they should not be.
>
> Here are the diagnostic tools I use, in descending order of importance:
>
> 1) Brain, running BSEE wetware
> 2) Multimeter (decent, e.g. Fluke)
> 3) Test lamp (cheap)
> 4) DC clamp-on ammeter