We have a Jotul insert that I burn on days below freezing, which means in
the winter it will run for many days consecutively, which was as early as
November this year.  It does quite a good job heating nearly the whole
house thanks to the chimney being in the center.  After about two days of
running, the walls around the chimney are warm to the touch on the second
floor.  We have an oil fired steam boiler which I run for about an hour in
the morning to keep it alive and to warm up the house after a cold night.
The far end of the house us heated by a Fujitsu minisplit always on, a low
temperature heating model designed to operate at rated output down to -4F,
with other units in the rest of the rooms turned on if needed.

It takes a bit of adjustment and some logistics to keep three heating
sources working in harmony, but overall keeps the house very warm and
doesn't cost much.  Our first year here burning only oil we spent
$1000/month (when oil was $4/gallon).  I'd guess we're running at about
$300/month now.

I get the chimney cleaned once a year... how dirty is it really depends on
the quality of the wood I burn.  I can get a feeling by how much creosote
builds up on the glass door of the stove.  This year I'm burning wood from
a tree we cut down about 4 years ago and its well seasoned... lights up
easily and keeps the glass clean.

Today its in the 60s... last week we hit -2.

Jaime

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:58 PM Dwight Giles via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Err- a chimney fire in the chimney I had not cleaned in  awhile-cold
> winter, icy roof, busy etc etc, Fortunately we had no fire extension into
> the surrounding walls.
> Dwight E. Giles Jr.
> Wickford RI
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:38 PM Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 13:28:26 -0500 Dwight Giles via Mercedes
> > <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I used to clean out our chimney a couple times a season with
> > > constant wood burning in our Vermont Castings. (6-7 cords a season)
> > > Then there is the time I didn't and had to call my fellow firefighters.
> > > How embarrassing. Dwight E. Giles Jr.
> >
> > And what prompted the embarrasing call to your fellow firefighters?
> >

> > Craig

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/