If you are looking for a new engine you might want to look at Harbor freight. If you buy at the right time you could get 25% off or more. Right now their 420cc horizontal shaft engine is $360. Wait for a sale and it will go down.

I bought a 6 hp engine to replace the 30 year old B&S cast iron one on my log splitter because it was having a lot of starting problems. With the new engine it starts at the first pull and runs a lot stronger due to the overhead valves rather then the old L head that B&S used for so long. Have had it for 2 years so far, it works great and for less then $75 after sale and discount. Will it last 30 years? Who cares. A new B&S probably won't either and costs a whole lot more.

Larry Turner via Mercedes wrote:
Hi Curt,
It's a 7000w with 10.5Kw peak. The engine is 420cc and while I have been unable to locate the HP it is supposed to be 14-ish. It's called a B&S Type 2100 w/elec. start, if interested.

Thanks for the suggestion to look at CL, I will hopefully find a repl engine or suitable Generator. It could be a basket case if the price was right. My existing Generator could provide any parts needed, exc the case.

The Champion is an option, probably available at our local Ag Supply. The Honda too much $'s for my limited need. Of course, the need is often inversely proportional to the preparedness which dates back to one of Murphy's many Laws.

Thanks for the options...

Larry

On 02/12/2019 1:18 PM, Curt Raymond wrote
What size is the generator?
If it were me I'd either

1. troll Craigslist for a replacement similar to what you have for a fraction of the new price

2. Buy a "Champion" brand from FLAPS or Tractor Supply or whatever. We have one at camp, we've had it, I forget, 6 or 7 years and its been great. Cheap too.

3. Buy a Honda and be done with it. While the Honda will be 2x$ option #2 it will last you the rest of your life and be MUCH quieter, probably use less fuel too.

If I needed a generator for home I'd go for option #3. Luckily I have a Fred who gave me a generator which currently lives at my in-laws house. I attribute it (ie being prepared) to why we haven't lost power this year...

-Curt