Tom Potter mentioned that I might have a blocked "u tube between head and water
pump".  I will look into that before I start ordering parts.

The fact that my water pump is very rusty really sticks out since everything
else is oily. That point is hard for me to get around.  And that the coolant
has been rusty every time I have drained it for the past few years.

"Using water as coolant".  I was just reading the official MB manual and it
says that you can use water as long as you use a rust inhibitor.  I am in the
stage of the flushing process where you run the engine with water in it to get
out the acid.  Will get back to coolant soon.

Jim Cathey Said:

"Check the temperature first, and replace the sender if it's wrong."

Where is that thing anyway ?  The reason would be that the sender costs a lot
less than an infrared thermometer.  I think that sometimes it is cheaper to
throw some parts at a problem.  (But lets not get philosophical)  What about
putting a glass thermometer on the top coolant hose ?

Jim Cathey Said:

"A sudden change in operating temperature, everything else being the same, is
either the sender lying or the thermostat acting up."

This is intriguing because that is what I have on my hands.  I guess I really
need to visually inspect the weep hole to verify that it is leaking.  I will do
that and report back. The thermostat is only about 4 months old. I guess I
should check it to make sure it is correct. Will do that and report back.

Dan Elliott
'82 300D-T 93kmi -grounded-
Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-leading spam
and email virus protection.