Took an Tesla S for a test drive yesterday. I'd asked about it last year and
out of the blue they gave me a call. It never hurts to try right?
Outside of the politics or environmental considerations it's a very nice car to
drive, wicked fast, 0-60 in like 4 sec. AWD with loads of grip, they send you
out with a co-pilot so you can't really open it up but he did encourage me to
give it some go and it sure did. Ride is not a Mercedes, more like my Jetta,
tight but not harsh.
I dislike that all the environmental controls are onscreen which requires you
to take your eyes off the road but that's compensated by the auto-pilot which
is astonishing. I never took my hands off the wheel but it did a perfect job in
pretty busy traffic.
The regenative braking is quit aggressive, a bit like riding the brake as you
come off the accelerator which means you rarely need the brakes in normal
driving. I imagine the brakes will last a long time...
The battery on the long range unit I tested is supposed to be good for more
than 300 miles, in very cold or hot conditions that would decrease. While
driving the range finder seemed pretty accurate. Normal (220v) chargers are
supposed to add 40-60 miles per hour of charge.
We played with the price calculator and came up with $98,000 after taxes, etc
or roughly 10x the price of my Jetta which admittedly was used.
I'm obviously not buying one but I get what people see in them...

Curt

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android