The same boom/bust cycle is going on today.

While dragging her dog around the neighborhood (walking the dog) I pick up a
flyer on a house for sale.  No pricing, just the normal realtor gibberish.
SWMBA gets home and all excited that we should troll the interwebz to learn
more about the six homes featured on the slip.  The bulk of them have been on
the market for about a year and dropped prices by 10-15%.  The homes all needed
“attention”.  The newer (80’s/90s) home sport original features (not
renovated), the older homes have good bones but were last upgraded about 30
years ago when somebody was flush with cash, or had spruced it up before
selling around the time of the Exxon Valdez spill.

There is no crush or demand for commercial space.  Lots of for lease signage
all over town.  Lots of empty store fronts in the CBD.  Very minimal new
construction going on, but for the few extended stay chains.  There is even an
arsonist who likes to target defunct sushi shops and other empty spaces.  What
commercial space there is looks very long in the tooth.  Aged strip malls with
long time, low rent tenancy, or big box stores that have been there for a long
time and are begging for updating.

clay monroe