On Thu, 30 May 2019 16:50:52 +0000 Rick Knoble via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> >Alphabet/Google reads all my text messages, that is troubling
>
> Facebook collects a ton of data also. Even if you don't have an account
> with them. It is speculated FB, and perhaps others can listen to
> conversations, even when the app is not open. True? I don't know. I use
> FB on a Firefox mobile browser, with Adblock Plus, Privacy Badger,
> Noscript, and still get a few targeted ads (stuff I've searched for).
> If I disable the add-ons, the advertising is overwhelming. Most
> articles I read, I use reader mode anyway. The same can be done in
> chrome mobile also.

Do smartphones have anything like a hosts file?

On our desktop and laptop (in Windows, as well as Linux), I have some of
the Googs and all of fb, twitter, pinterest, and many other suspect sites
blocked by setting the addresses to the local dump url (127.0.0.1 or
0.0.0.0).

I ran across winhelp2002.mvps.org and the fellow's edited host file works
on Linux, too.

Craig