> Rick wrote:

> Facebook collects a ton of data also. Even if you don't have an
> account with them.

Yup.  And more and accurate data when you do have an account.

> It is speculated FB, and perhaps others can listen to
> conversations, even when the app is not open. True?

It's possible.  I don't know if it's true.  On Android, control of
iptables can really cut down on leaks - but requires root.  There
are a couple userspace firewalls that should control any
"respectable" apps - but I don't think face book counts as
respectable.  NetGuard is one.  Using it will almost certainly
intrude on user experience.

 I don't
> know. I use FB on a Firefox mobile browser, with Adblock Plus,
> Privacy Badger, Noscript, and still get a few targeted ads
> (stuff I've searched for).

Blame cookies and web bugs.  Block those and you should browse
"clean".  Of course, cookies are needed to log in to face book and
other places, but if the cookies are deleted upon logout then even
the web bugs will have less to report.

Another option is multiple browsers.  I'm not sure how much is
shared between them, but a lot less than within one!

Again, cookies, web bug, javascript, multiple browsers all are
methods that will impact user experience.  You have to decide if
the bother is worth it.