Man, this ML500 is killing me…

I’ve been fighting with an ELT/BAS/ABS and brake alert lights. The multiple
light issue is a well known one, but can be any number of causes. I think I got
it sorted. Now Im down to just a BAS light and a code for a bad steering angle
sensor. I’ve got to do some checking, but I don’t think it’s bad, I just think
there may be some corrosion issued in the connector, as this car sat for a good
year before I got it.

Anyway, I’ve been driving it to work to get things figured out. Wednesday, no
problem, just the BAS light on occasion. This is a Good Thing.

Thursday I drive in, no issues but the BAS light again, just as I pull into my
space. Meh. Go out at lunch to make a dealer parts run. Dead.

Grrr.

I’m thinking I left the lights in the “Auto” position, which is not working
properly, as it turns the lights on as soon as the key goes in and doesn’t turn
them off in daylight. Hmm. We have a city wide car assistance service that will
come and change tires, put gas in your car, give you a jump, etc. for free. I
call them and they come into the garage.

No joy with their jumper pack. Push the car out of the space and they put the
jumper cables on it - success! Not ready to take any chances, I immediately
drive it home.

Battery appears to be charged but I put it on my charger anyway to be sure.
While that’s going on I hook up the DAS to see what’s up, as well as get a look
at the “actual values” for the rain sensor, which also works with the
headlights for the automatic functions.

All of the sudden, my DAS system is flashing red all over the place. Whaaa??

Battery voltage is down to 10 volts??? The key is on for the diagnostics, but
nothing is running like AC or other large consumers.

I get my 10 amp charger out and put it on the car. Voltage comes up. Hmm. I
finish my DAS stuff.

Go to move the car. Battery dead.

So I yank the battery out and take it down to my FLAPS guy and he tests it.
Bad. I give him BS about the machine saying that no matter what, as it doesn’t
explain the reason why it failed the test. I’ve got a bunch of bonus bucks and
a some discount codes, so I take the battery and go back home to put an order
in for one along with a bunch of other stuff I needed.

Go down to FLAPS first this this morning. No regular H8 batteries. Really? The
manager, who I know pretty well, drags a gold AGM off the shelf and says he’s
going to give it to me at the same price as my regular battery. Woo-hoo!

And then he sees my order sitting on the shelf. Dang it!

So I’ve drug the new battery back home and installed it. I’m doing some other
stuff to the car right now so I haven’t tried it, but I’m assuming it should be
OK. While I had the battery out I popped a spark plug out to see what they
looked like. Yikes! Electrode almost gone. No wonder it idles poorly and
surges. Then I had to try and find someone who had 16 spark plugs in one
location. No joy. Gotta make a couple of stops today to get plugs, too.

If it’s not one thing it’s another…

-D