> Jim wrote:

> I LOVE having my own website.  I can put anything I want on
> there, send links to whomever, take it down when I please.  If I
> don't put it in the crawl-able area, Google and wayback won't
> ever see it.

If there is a link in an email that Google scans, will they crawl
it?

I'm fairly certain Google honors a .htaccess.  I'm fairly certain
other web crawlers do not.  But so far I don't have any evidence
that Google has crawled a directory that is .htaccess limited but
the URL is in an email to a Google account.

>  Dark web, baby!  No size limitations, subject only to
> available disk space.

Hear, hear!!

> The faithful 1999 Mac G4 server has been retired in favor of a
> much smaller, quieter, and lower-power 2014 Mac Mini.

That's not just your own website - it's your own server!  It
requires moderate bandwidth, probably not metered, and persistent
connection.  My bandwidth is barely moderate - but it's not
persistent and it's metered.  Maybe someday the electric coop will
bring fiberoptic to my road.   "I have a dream..."