Cedar Falls Electric, a city utility, put in Fiber cables before the telcos got wise.   You can get fiber to the house or bidness anywhere in CF for reasonable money. In 2000 we had a biz connection that was t1 equivalent for $70/mo. That was 1/4 or less what mabell wanted for equivalent bandwidth.  Ours was essentially a cable tv hookup, but in the industrial park, there were no other cabletv hookups, so we got the full bandwidth.    We had awful telephone service from qwest, but blazing internet.

There were a few other municipalities who got in fiber before the telcos stamped it out.