On 18/06/2019 8:05 AM, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes wrote:
BTW that is not a "rebel" flag, it is the Confederate Battle Flag.  It was initially the Army of Northern Virginia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Northern_Virginia> battle flag <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_flag> under General Robert E. Lee <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee>, designed by William Porcher Miles <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Porcher_Miles> then adopted and reused later in other variants, most lately to become the "Confederate Flag."

I do understand that in today's political climate it causes consternation among many, mostly it seems due to appropriation by various dumbasses to represent distasteful and hateful ideologies.  One was flown over the statehouse (our version of a lunatic asylum) here until a coupla years ago at which time it was moved to another site, or done away with altogether, I don't recall.  It was there mostly as a big FU to others the good ol boys thought needed reminding of the Late Unpleasantness.

--FT

I guess maybe this will expose my red neck, but I sort of feel the same way about the rainbow flag. The gay community has appropriated the rainbow as their symbol and thus no one else will touch it. Somehow seems inappropriate to me to have essentially taken away the rainbow from any other potential uses.