From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of carbucks
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:43 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300SD oil cooler line

Thanks to all who replied. Came across this posting in alt.auto.mercedes
that confirms you have to raise the engine.

Martin

From: Russ Maki  "Russ Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date:  Thurs, Jun 29 2000 12:00 am
Groups:   alt.auto.mercedes

On my '82 300cd, the lower line has to come out first to get at the upper
line. Maybe that's different on the S cars of the era.

This procedure works for removing both lines on my car (you might as well do
both). I assume it works for other cars with the 5-cyl turbo diesel engine:

1) Detach the hoses at the filter and oil cooler. Removing the fan and
shroud may help you get at the fitting at the oil cooler end of the lower
hose. Make sure you remove the clamps holding the lines in place at the AC
compressor and in front of the engine mount. A 10-inch Crescent wrench works
nicely on the line fittings.

2) Jack up the left side of the car so the LF wheel is 2-3 inches off the
ground. Use a jack stand under the left frame rail to secure the car in its
raised position.

3) Detach the driver's-side

 and engine shock absorber. You'll
need to crawl under the car to remove the engine-to-mount bolt and lower nut
on the engine shock. There's a flat area on the lower shaft of the shock
where you can use a 7mm open-end wrench to keep the shaft from spinning
while you're turning the nut.

4) Put a jack under the left side of the engine and lift it 3 inches. If you
use a block of 2x4 and take care, you should be able to jack it up under a
corner of the oil pan.

5) Remove the old lines by sliding them down and out at the back of the
engine bay. You'll need to rotate them a little, but they do come out
without a lot of difficulty.

6) Installation is the reverse of removal. Take care not to cross-thread the
fittings at the oil cooler -- you don't want to strip the threads on the
cooler. I also used a little pipe sealer on the joints to prevent leaks.

Whew! Not a fun job. While you have things unbuttoned, it may be time to
replace the engine mount and engine shock . Not to mention the water pump
and fan clutch.

HTH,
Russ