> Floyd wrote:

> I bought a domain and was thinking to set up a server like some
> of you have instead of just having it hosted by some outfit.
> Probably more than I want to do but can someone tell me what the
> basic process is to set up such a thing, email and some content
> to be served up?

Well, that's sort of like asking, "I just bought a barn.  I'd like
to set up a workshop.  What should I put in it?"  Could be
welding, woodworking, automotive, pottery, taxidermy, gunsmith,
jewelery.

Yet there are some generals.

Internet access is required.  Duh.

You need a public IP address that DNS can find.  Most of us don't
pay the extra money for a "fixed IP address" so there are "dynamic
DNS" services that will let a visitor enter "thurst.org" and the
DNS will find your IP even if it's not the same as it was
yesterday.

A server is needed.  This is a computer running software.  For
email, I'm guessing you want a place for _your_ email to live -
not a service for others.  But the web server is likely for other
people to use.

A Raspberry Pi can be used as a server.  I personally would use
Linux, or BSD - but whatever.  Jim uses a Mac.  For web hosting,
run the server software, set your firewall to allow the HTTP and
HTTPS to get in, and you're live.  Then all you need is content.
Photos, witty writing, helpful articles - whatever you have.

Email can be trickier.  The method I use is to collect via POP3
(don't leave the messages "out there") and then here inside I host
them via IMAP (5 different computers look at the same mail
message).  Be aware the "send" process of email is a completely
different set of actions than "get".

Far easier is to pay for hosting.  Maybe buy hosting for a year or
so and see what is involved without running your own software,
then migrate to your own somewhere along the way.  Bluehost has
served me well. Linux servers, SSH login (lets me use rsync), fair
prices, good services, and what limited tech help I have asked for
has been there.