"I tried to buy a damaged ML six months ago to swap the body panels, but they wanted way too much for it."

Yeah, like yours...

I have no particular interest in it other than it might be a source for some bits of this and that, esp if the tranny is shot.  I might keep in touch with him, it is about an hour or more away, so no real interest to drive up there.  For $300 it could offer up some good parts I guess.  Strip it down, sell the hulk to the knacker.  It's curious why the interior is so beat at only 138kmi, maybe he or a PO had dogs or something.

A tranny at the knacker is $300 (or $350, I forget, doesn't matter) so the vehicle is not worth much if you'd have to put that money and time and effort into it, you'd still have a beater.  I guess right now it is just a yard ornament, his wife is probably riding him...

--FT