Hue,

First off, pull the tensioner and see if you have enough slack to line up the chain. Next, I would install a temporary master link, the one with the circlips (make sure one of the clips doesn't fall into the motor), next reinstall the tensioner (you will likely have to reset the pin in the tensioner). After this is done, rotate the motor over slowly BY HAND, not with the starter! I assume you have removed the injectors by this point, so that should ease the cranking over of the motor. Once you have completed two full crank revolutions, set the crank and cam at TDC and check your timing marks. Hopefully everything will line up as it should. If not, plan on re-timing this motor completely for insurance sake. Should you need to do that, you will learn the intricacies of IP drip timing. As you are installing the chain by cranking clockwise, there is a good chance all will be well, but you need to make sure before engaging the starter. If you are off by a few teeth the valves will hit the pistons and the starter is strong enough to bend them. Should the motor lock when cranking it over by hand, you have jumped time and plan on re-timing it. If all checks out, replace the temporary master link with the proper one and crimp it on. I heavily recommend using the factory chain crimping tool. Having done chains with the tool and without, the proper tool makes all the difference and gives strong peace of mind to know the crimp is solid and not ramshackled. Keep your wits about you and you will do fine.

Mathieu J. Cama
www.oldworldauto.com