The V10 Dodge is in demand out here. I went looking once and could find lots
of Ford V10s but no Dodge...
-Curt

    On Saturday, July 27, 2019, 1:21:18 AM EDT, Jim Cathey via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 Speaking of fuel, as some may recall I have a 1997 Dodge diesel that I dearly
love,
and with which I can get 25-26mpg on a highway trip if I take pains to keep the
speeds down.  I had bought a 1996 Dodge V10 as a parts vehicle for it, which
ended up being a driver instead.  It routinely gets 10-12 mpg.  (Usually not
12!)
The diesel is, for now, a camper-only vehicle.  Having a second truck is much
less 'puckery' and inconvenient than taking the camper on and off.

Due to circumstances we ended up taking the V10 on a cross-State trip, and to
attempt to mitigate the fuel costs I drove it much like I was on a mileage run
with
the diesel.  (The V10 has an automatic transmission, vs the manual of the
diesel.
Doom seemed the order of the day.)

On the Spokane/Tacoma legs, which includes crossing the Cascade mountain
range via Snoqualmie Pass, we got 14.6 and 15.3 mpg!  (The lower figure was due
to getting caught in an hour or so of stop-and-go traffic near Tacoma.  Bad
planning.)

I was really quite surprised.  The V10 has a locking torque converter, which
engages
at about 55 MPH, at 1500 RPM.  I kept speeds under 60 MPH.  Not bad for an 8
liter
V10.  (Specs are 300 HP and 450 lb/ft of torque.)  All you have to be is
patient, then
your fuel costs merely stink.

My wife seemed to be a lot more in favor of keeping this truck after this trip.
 It was
quiet and comfortable, and performed admirably.  And, the mileage was almost
tolerable.
But, I'll give her the choice.

-- Jim