But the 350SDLs are fine after they have a new engine or new rods installed,
right?

Let's say you're looking at a S-class with the 3.5L diesel engine - if all
the cylinders have good compression, then you can just put new connecting
rods in and have a very reliable car, right?  Costs you $2500, $3000 or so
(assuming you don't do it yourself) and you have the last overengineered,
non-electronic S-class.  Seems like a good way to buy a car.

Another 350SDL question - how much is one really worth, WITHOUT a new
engine?  I'm not talking Kaleb pricing; I'm talking how much would people on
this list really pay?  Please give two prices - one on a car needing new
rods, one on a car needing a new engine.