There's a microscopic bent ridge of metal at the downstream edge of the filing
motion.
I like to have it on the trailing edge, some people like to have it on the
leading edge hoping it'll wear off quickly, some people like you don't care.
But I figure it's important to make every aspect possible of the filing action
identical on the left cutters and the right cutters.
Mitch.

PS: for casual cutting, a Poulan Wild Thing, plated piston, plain cylinder and
all, is perfectly adequate. It won't last 200 hours of actual cutting time, but
how many seconds does it take to make a cut? But saws like that tend to come
with too long bars for the horsepower, and make up for it by  using a skip
tooth chain. Generally speaking, a cheap skip tooth safety chain is slow
cutting, but my Dad's ten year old WildThang does OK the few times I've used
it.