I shot in a competition for a fund raiser for our local high school’s sporting
clays team recently. One of the guys in our group had a very expensive/ornate
British side by side.

He wasn’t hitting a darned thing while the rest of us were knocking down
probably about 80%-90% at each station. It was pretty clear that he wasn’t
fitted for the gun, and was probably a well to do parent who thought they would
go out, buy a nice shotgun and show up at the range and knock clays down all
day. After all, how hard can it be?

Collectively I think we had a Mossburg 500, a Remington 870, and my Lanber. For
those not familiar with shotguns, none of these are shotguns that would cost
more than maybe $400-$500 new, except for my Lanber, which is more like $1200
if you could buy a new one (they’re no longer in business in the US.) This
guy’s shotgun, which appeared to be brand new, was no doubt in the several
thousand dollar range, if not more.

By the fourth or fifth stand he was getting pretty frustrated, so we started
letting him try shooting with our shotguns on a rotating basis. He gravitated
to the Mossburg, an excellent shotgun, and by the end of the round was hitting
easily seven out of ten.

Afterwards we got him set up with Roger, our coach, to get fitted to a gun. I
suspect his fancy shotgun will get sold or go in a cabinet somewhere....

-D