ADSIT used to be the poster child for really awful customer service. For those
that knew of them or experienced it directly, you know they were nothing short
of legendary in their ability to screw people over, many times in multiple ways.

In 1988 I owned a 1979 300TD. The clock had failed in it and I was looking for
a replacement. Randy Steele happened to have an NOS (new old stock) clock on
the shelf he offered to me. I was calling around to other suppliers to possibly
find a used one and happened to call Adsit, as I'm originally from Central
Indiana and knew of them.

They said they had a used clock on the shelf and quoted me a price. It was
astronomical. I asked them to confirm the price, as it was more than the NOS
clock Randy had offered me. When I told them I could get an NOS clock for much
less than their used clock, which was why I was questioning the price they
quoted, I got a stream of profanity directed at me, Randy, the clock, and
pretty much anyone and anything else who might have been nearby. Then they
accused me of trying to "J*w them down", which I found equally offensive.

That was pretty much the beginning and the end of my experience with Adsit.

I needed an interior rear view mirror for the ML500 beater truck. The one that
was on it was nearly destroyed from the ravages of the climate and possible
abuse from the PO. A new mirror assembly from Mercedes was over $800 my cost,
mainly because they can charge this and because there are all sorts of funky
doo-dads in the mirror housing, like auto dimming, map lights, etc., etc.

So I started looking around on the various venues for either a nice used one or
a maybe an NOS one for cheap. I was willing to forego all the fancy trappings
for just a plain mirror, knowing that there were many variants of the mirror
depending on the option level of the car.

ADSIT had an NOS one for sale for $39.99 that appeared to be the same but was a
different part number and gray, rather than my “java” interior color. They
wanted $12.75 for shipping. I made a “best offer” of $35.00 and they bit.

Mirror showed up today in the original Mercedes box. It was clearly a brand new
mirror based on the packaging and condition. Not only that, it had all the
fancy doo-dads my original mirror had, too!

Plugged everything in, popped it into the mount, and now I have a brand new
rear view mirror with all the appurtenances. Despite it being gray, it blends
in well. I’m glad, because I was in some haste to install it and was really
thinking about getting some interior vinyl paint to make it match.

Nahhhh. Beater truck.

So despite their past reputation, ADSIT actually did good.

-D