If it's like my 82 SD, there is a mechanical (cable or rod) linkage from the
throttle that controls the shift points and a vacuum signal (from the injection
pump) that controls shift firmness.  The vacuum signal uses the vacuum pump, a
restriction, and a variable leak (also controlled by throttle linkages) to
simulate manifold vacuum of a gas engine.