I'm glad this made a big difference!!

More than you want to know about adjusting the linkage is here:
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12265/disc_2/program/Engine/617/30-300.pdf

This is really useful if someone has seriously messed things up and you
need to get back to a base line.  Note section C is where the 300D turbo is
referenced.

The biggest issues I've found is that you no longer reach the full load
stop on the injection pump.  That is, with your foot to the floor, you
don't make it to the max stop at the pump linkage.  Have a look at this, as
it can make a big difference in the amount of go.

As mentioned, the clunk can be vacuum.  Can also be a flex disc which is
sloppy.  You can check this by driving on flat ground ~40mph... if you
press and release the accelerator to load and unload the drive shaft and
hear a clunk each time, then you have to look at the driveshaft/flex
discs.  If its really only on downshift, then its likely a vacuum leak.

Jaime

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 4:32 PM Don Snook via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> The Bowden cable was sort of the issue.  The linkage was not placed
> corrected. When the throttle linkage moved, it was not pulling the cable at
> all.  I clicked it over and it was like EUREKA!  So, I just went for a
> drive and it  downshifted, it delayed upshift as I was accelerating and it
> shifted into third! It’s like a rocket by comparison.  Really!
>
> So, the transmission was not shifting due to any input from the throttle.
> It was simply shifting based on a rev limit. So, it didn’t know I was
> accelerating and it never made it to third because I didn’t ever reach the
> rev limit for 4th.
>
> WOW! You guys are great! Thanks so much to Jamie and Meade!!!
>
> Now, I need to figure out the big clunk when it downshifts when I’m
> slowing down.  Is that some sort of transmission mount?
>
> Donald H. Snook

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/