> Don wrote:

> I found an 82 240D automatic nearby with 211K miles.

> I'm not sure that is safe to be on the highway!

Only dangerous if you try to drive it like a "high powered" car.
It's faster than a school bus, faster than a loaded truck from
10 to 18+ wheels. Why, it's faster than most fire trucks!

Maybe it just needs a siren...

> These numbers sound like it could be dangerous trying to drive
> on a highway considering 70-80 mph is pretty much regular
> traffic flow.  Are these really this bad?

Um, yup.  That's normal.  I drive many, many interstate miles
below the speed limit and very rarely would I consider it
"risky".

> Anyone have one of these and tried to drive it at highway speeds
> recently?

There is a reason why ALL of the 123s with automatic transmissions
that I have also have 5 cylinders and a turbo!