We spend winters in the HOA.   I've already related the experience.   If the neighbors were not atypical, I would be fighting it.   "The colonel" used to run it for decades, and would not have wanted to be there when she ran it. Fortunately her retirement coincided with the acquisition.   Whenever she shows up at a meeting she often gets her hackles up about something insignificant.  Shes in her 90s now.   HOA meetings are mostly free entertainment.

Conversely, the best community I lived in was Volcano Village.  Nice community center, no dues. lots of activities, including cub Scouts, and later Boy Scouts too.  NO HOA, No association of any kind.   The community center had a board.  It regulated use of the community center, and sponsored holiday events.

It was a very educated/intelligent 4000' community.  Few, if any busybodies, but lots of neighborliness (perhaps because most were armed?)   My neighbor cut lava blocks out of his lot to build his house.  He had a beautiful garden, and grew most of his food.  Kept to himself, rarely left.  He was a great neighbor.   Some people had junk cars.  some didn't.  Live and let live.   if a junker was left for a year, the jungle grew over it.  Some people had little more than shacks, others had somewhat large and very nice houses.   It is the best place in the country, IMHO.

Oceanview was a very different community some 50 miles away.   Most people there were antisocial, and most were involved some way with the pakalolo industry.  But some just wanted to own a piece of paradise, even if water was scarce, and if they had to drive 30-40 miles to work.   We had friends of this type, who lived there.  Off grid.   Most people there had a homestead that looked like a junkyard.   Most of them loved it.  They too had a community association that sponsored events for holidays and such.  NO HOA, no dictating what you have to do. Participants were mainly the second type, but some of the pakalolo growers participated too.