We’ve always been a “nice” HOA. When our HOA was turned over to the owners, the
consensus was that we would be a “nice” HOA.

When the economy was crappy we split the assessment payments up into multiple
installments ($200/year pad quarterly as opposed to a single payment) to make
it easier for people to pay their assessment. On more than one occasion we
deferred assessments for owners in financial distress. We talk to our owners
when there is an issue or violation so they understand what’s being asked of
them.

In a community of 250+ homes there are a couple of assh@ts. There always will
be in a group of people that large. However, by and large the group is
self-policing much like Curley’s neighbors are. Community pressure and gentle
reminders/discussions tend to yield far better results, and people are far more
cooperative when the relationship is non-adversarial.

Where we run into trouble is with institutional investors, like Invitation
Homes and American Homes. They bought up a lot of mid-range properties when the
economy was bad and turned them into rentals. As you might imagine, some
renters don’t have a sense of ownership or community because they’re
transitional. Dealing with these folks can be challenging, as can dealing with
the management companies.

We recently lumped all of the violations for one of the management companies
into a single legal action. They did not like this. It will cost them money to
defend and sort out. However, it was the only way we could get them to respond
and comply with our community standards. Big corporate entities tend to ignore
groups like ours because they can. However, state law gives us far more power
in the ability to “defend” our community and association, as they’re finding
out.

We’ll get their properties in compliance and their sandbagging will cost them a
lot of money.

-D