Weren't al these machines designed for the autobahn?
My 71 280sel does the exact same thing.  Kinda a dog
till about 65-70 then it becomes a rocket...  Those
v-8's really go.  Frankly its the fasted (and most
stable) car I have ever driven and I ruteinely beat
the little rice grinders that try and zwoop past, but
alas...

8-11 mpg... even back in the day of cheap gas, it
would cost me 25.00-30 bucks to drive a day!!!!

Now it just sits.... sad really....  Anyone need one
in seattle?  I'm stuck on these 300d's now (doing the
biofuel (and changing timing chains!!)