On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 16:45:45 -0600 Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Now, you are getting carried away. We all knew what he meant.

It's just my research (Ph.D.) background, plus I didn't know how to spell
the word correctly.

Craig

> On 13/11/2019 4:43 PM, Craig via Mercedes wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:27:23 -0500 Dwight Giles via Mercedes
> > <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Probably more germain than germane.
> > germane
> >      adj.
> >      Related to a matter at hand, especially to a subject under
> >           discussion. synonym: relevant.
> >      Closely akin; german.
> >      Hence Bearing a close relation; relevant; pertinent.
> >

> > Germane
> >      Germane is the chemical compound with the formula GeH4, and the
> >      germanium analogue of methane. It is the simplest germanium
> > hydride and one of the most useful compounds of germanium. Like the
> > related compounds silane and methane, germane is tetrahedral. It
> > burns in air to produce GeO2 and water. Germane is a group 14 hydride.
> >
> >      Germane is a highly flammable, potentially pyrophoric, and a
> > highly toxic gas. In 1970, the American Conference of Governmental
> > Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) published the latest changes and set the
> >      occupational exposure threshold limit value at 0.2 ppm for an
> > 8-hour time weighted average. The LC50 for rats at 1 hour of exposure
> > is 622 ppm [0.0622%].
> >

> > Germain
> > See also: germain and gèrmain
> >      Etymology A patronymic from a medieval given name, identical
> > with the French one; or from an ethnic term for a German.
> >

> > germain
> >    English
> >      Adjective
> >      Obsolete form of germane.
> >        Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913
> > edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and
> > hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be
> > significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be
> > completely missing. (See the entry for germain in Webster’s Revised
> > Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
> >
> >    French
> >      Etymology 1
> >        From Old French, borrowed from Latin germānus.
> >      Adjective
> >        germain (feminine singular germaine, masculine plural germains,
> >          feminine plural germaines)
> >        1. german (having the same mother and father)
> >
> >      Etymology 2
> >        From Old French, borrowed from Latin Germānus.
> >      Adjective
> >        germain (feminine singular germaine, masculine plural germains,
> >          feminine plural germaines)
> >        1. Germanic, German
> >

> > gèrmain
> >      Norman
> >        Etymology  From Old French germain, borrowed from Latin
> > germānus. Adjective
> >        gèrmain m
> >        1. (Jersey) german
> >      Derived terms
> >        couôsîn gèrmain (“first cousin”)

Craig

----------------------------------
Present: '93 E300D/2.5 Turbo           354 kmi
         '89 Chevrolet G20 Beauville   210 kmi
                 (the Big Red Van, BRV)
         '00 Kenworth W900  Helmut     943 kmi

   Past: '90 E300D/2.5 Turbo           265 kmi   RIP
         '07 Peterbilt 386  Bruno      885 kmi
         '82 240D/3.0       Bluebell   286 kmi
         '95 E320           Sebastian  135 kmi   RIP
         '94 E420           Oskar      127 kmi   RIP
         '87 Dodge Grand Caravan                 RIP
         '86 190E/2.3
         '72 220/8
         '61 Willys Utility Wagon
         '59 Willys Utility Wagon