Night and day.   With general "all season" tars, my SDL would spin and slide.   Not much good when I got stuck in schnee.     I put on a set of used Blizzaks I found at a farstone stealer in Dubuque.   What a difference.   I t seemed like it would climb an iced lektrick pole with the blizzaks.   Got a set for #1 daughter's E320.   THey were awe inspiring.

Check simpletire.com and discounttiredirect.com     What are those 18" or twennys?   I can buy a set for a car for about $300 installed, last I checked.
Allan Streib via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 18, 2019 at 3:34 PM
How much difference do winter tires really make?

I have an unavoidable hill getting into my neighborhood. When it's
snowy, I can't climb it in the 300D or 300SD with "all-season"
tires. Rear tires just spin.

The other night it had snowed. The road was not yet plowed or sanded. I
was in the Volvo XC90. Heavy car, front-wheel drive, new-ish all season
tires. It also could not climb the hill. Other neighbors with AWD/SUVs
were climbing the hill no problem and they didn't appear to have snow
tires. Our AWD Honda Element with cheap Cooper tires had no problem.

Had to get the Frontier (4WD) and tow chain to pull the Volvo up the hill.

I'm OK with not using the MBs in the snow. But I need to drive
something. Priced winter tires for the Volvo and looks like they are
~$180 or so per tire. Don't want to spend that money if it's not going
to make a substantial difference.

Allan