Yeah, he was a hard core U.S. iron guy after having worked for GM for many
years. That being said, he did order a 450SL in the early 70s, just before the
gas crisis occurred. I’ve told that story before, but to recap, he ordered the
car, it came in a few months later when the you know what had really hit the
fan with Arab embargo on oil, and he had to back out of the deal as many of his
customers would have taken offense at him driving a foreign car. Closest I ever
saw the man to crying. Made me realize that this must have been one special car
and probably unknowingly affected my interest in Mercedes.

The last American iron he owned was a Plymouth Horizon TC3. Had an aftermarket
pop-up style sunroof installed in it that “didn’t leak!” Dark blue with a
matching interior. He loved that car, as it was his first front wheel drive car
and the handling was something he had never experienced. He used to like to
bury the front end in a snowdrift and then show everyone how easily it could
extract itself.

I think that was the impetus for him to buy the Honda Prelude. He loved the
front wheel drive aspect and I don’t think there were many domestic front wheel
drive offerings at that time that were two seaters and relatively upscale cars.
Not sure - not a subject we covered before he passed.

-D