Thanks for that great explanation Roger!  Very helpful! (Not just to me but to others as well, I suspect)

LarryT

On 12/28/2019 9:02 AM, ROGER HALE via Mercedes wrote:
Larry,
I pass on to you what I've told before.  I have two old Dell Vostros with Dual
Core processors.  They were originally 4mb memory which Dell said couldn't be
upgraded because they never certified it as well as not certifying Win10.  I
upgraded both to Win10 back in 2016, I think, first year available.
Now, I upgraded the memory on both to 8mb because I could and it worked fine.
I upgraded the processor on one easily.  I added an SSD drive to one easily.
They both work fine but are getting old, 2007 and 2008 vintage.  So, in January
I plan to move everything to two Dell Vostro 470s (2013-2014 vintage) with I
acquired on eBay for very reasonable prices.  They will have i5 3rd gen
processors, 8mb of memory, and 1 or 2 terabyte of disk space running Win10
which I've already loaded using the free upgrade.
If you want optimal performance from Win10, you should upgrade memory to 8mb if
possible, while 4mb will run good.  A 3.0 ghz processor or close is good
whether dual core, i3, or i5, or i7.  Again, changing a processor takes about
20 minutes.  Upgrading memory takes about 5-10 minutes.
If you can, make upgrades to your PC first.  You might also have to go back to
the PC vendor and get a BIOS upgrade as I did for my Dell 200, but not the Dell
220.  Then upgrade to Win10.  When it asks for a product key, give it the
product key for your Win7 and Microsoft will issue you a digital key which
works just fine.  You can contact me off list if you have any questions.
Good luck and best wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.