Thanks for that - I'm leaning that way too.  I got a suggestion to test the alt easily - was told "Hold a piece of steel ( like a screw driver ) against the alternator pulley or back of the alternator, if it sticks the field is staying on or there is a shorted diode for the stator. Actual shorted not what some call any electrical fault."

Don't know if this will work but it's worth a try.  And I'm pretty sure a shorted alt will cause the alt to magnetize.

Make sense?  I'm charging the battery so I can try it tomorrow...  been busy with lots of other things going on.

Larry