I mentioned recently about us talking about pizzas; well today I found
the original email. It's attached below.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:58:43 -0500
From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] pizza oven talk

Conveyor ovens are awful.  They do produce a consistent quality pie
without the need for any real skill on the part of the operator, which
is why the chain pizzarias use them.  Unfortunately for the consumer,
however, the consistent quality they achieve is not excellent or even
good, but medocre.

In college I worked at a Domino's franchise.  Not world class pizza
maybe, but at the time really not bad.  Back then they used deck ovens,
which were later replaced by conveyors.  The pizza took a noticable turn
for the worse at that point.  Same dough, sauce, cheese and toppings;
the only difference was the ovens.

The deck ovens could turn out a really nice crust, nicely browned and
crispy on the surface but moist, airy and flavorful on the inside,
cheese carmelized on the surface but melted and stringy underneath, the
tastes of the toppings individually discernable.  The conveyor ovens,
with the same ingredients going in, turned out a tough cardboard-like
crust that had no crunch, with the cheese and all the toppings hardened
into a tasteless, dehydrated layer on the surface.

All the chain pizzarias here, as well as most of the independents, use
conveyor ovens now.  Some do better than others, but the best pizza we
have is found at one or two independents that still use deck ovens.

Our deck ovens at Domino's were electric, and ran at about 580 degrees
F.  A coal-fired brick oven could approach 1,000 degrees.  Intense
radiant heat is the key to a great pizza.  Baking at these temperatures
requires experience and attention.  The difference between an underbaked
and a burnt pizza can literally be a matter of seconds.

Aside from the oven, another critical element of a good pizza crust is
the flour.  You need to use a high protein flour, which you cannot buy
at the typical supermarket.  So-called "bread flour" is better than
all-purpose, but still not ideal.  The best I've tried is "Sir Lancelot"
high-gluten flour from the King Arthur flour company.  You can order it
on-line.  With this flour, you really have to work the dough to develop
the gluten, so it's best to use an electric mixer such as a Kitchen-Aid.

For anyone interested, I can enthusiastically recommend a book on the
topic, "American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza" by Peter
Reinhart.  The first half is sort of a diary or narrative of his "hunt",
starting in Italy then moving to New York and across the USA, sampling
and comparing locally famous pizzarias.  The second half is a collection
of recipes and instructions for how to make a decent pizza at home from
scratch.  The author's love for his subject is obvious throughout.

Allan
--
1983 300D

---
Craig McCluskey

Present: 1982 240D/3.0 (Euro 1984 617.912 engine, 4-speed) 254 kmi
         1994 E420     117 kmi
   Past: 1964 190Dc
         1972 220D/8
         1972 220/8
         1987 190E/2.3

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       "Friends don't send friends
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL                   HTML email."
 / \  AND POSTINGS
                               http://www.fred.net/tds/longrange.html
          http://pruffle.mit.edu/~ccarter/I_do_not_use_microsoft.html

Craig

----------------------------------
Present: '93 E300D/2.5 Turbo           354 kmi
         '89 Chevrolet G20 Beauville   210 kmi
                 (the Big Red Van, BRV)
         '00 Kenworth W900  Helmut     943 kmi

   Past: '90 E300D/2.5 Turbo           265 kmi   RIP
         '07 Peterbilt 386  Bruno      885 kmi
         '82 240D/3.0       Bluebell   286 kmi
         '95 E320           Sebastian  135 kmi   RIP
         '94 E420           Oskar      127 kmi   RIP
         '87 Dodge Grand Caravan                 RIP
         '86 190E/2.3
         '72 220/8
         '61 Willys Utility Wagon
         '59 Willys Utility Wagon