On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:56:53 -0500 Meade Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Once started, the CE light was no longer lit.  I put on my code reader
> at the diagnostic plug, got a few codes at pins 8 and 14, mostly
> errors in communications between various gasser modules which are
> mysterious to me.  Cleared all the codes.  Shut down the car, and it
> immediately re-started no issues, no CE light.

IIRC, Max, this is the light-bulb reader.

How do you know which codes come out which pins?

How do you clear the codes?

I think I did all that with the '94 E420 and '95 E320 we had, but it's
been a while and I have forgotten. Was the information in the codes file
I sent you (I think)?

> Waited a bit, and then it would not start.  Tried to listen for the
> fuel pump, could not hear anything when the ignition was turned on
> (should the pump run all the time when the ignition is turned on, or
> does it run for just a bit to build pressure, or does it wait to run
> until the starter is cranking?).

As Curt said, it runs for a few seconds until the engine is started and
then runs continuously as long as the engine is running.

> Got down next to the car at the fuel pump, I think I could hear it
> running, also observed a drip of fuel, so need to pull off that cover
> and see what's leaking.

That might be the source of your hard start.

Craig