I pulled the blower motor assembly out of my truck on Saturday morning. We had some nice weather this weekend so it was warm enough to do it outside. That was nice. Warm weather for us this time of year was about 0 degrees C. Put cardboard down over the snow and used an old sheet to protect me from getting really dirty as the running board thing on the truck was filthy. I have been wanting to wash it for a couple of weeks but the car wash I generally use is down for repairs and if I wash it, it will be dirty before I can get it home. However, I do like to wash off the layer of dirt even if it gets back on fairly quickly.

Removal of the assembly is not too bad. 3 screws hold it in and only one of them is difficult to get to. A ratcheting box end works well but one with a flex head would be even better. After the screws are out, it is still a bit of a wiggle job to get the unit out as the carpet is is the way etc.

Once I had it out, I found a piece of plastic inside the squirrel cage. It is about 3/4 in length and diameter and obviously broke off of something in the heater box. Reaching in through the opening, I find a flap/door that can be readily moved back and forth so I assume this piece was what connected the door to the doodad that opened and closed it. About that time, my mechanic son arrived and took a look at it. He did a little looking on the computer and determined that the flap is the door that determines whether the heating box gets fresh air or recirculates the air in the cab. The default is fresh air as the flap is under suction in the current condition without the broken off plastic part engaging the motor that opens and closes the flap.

So, the gist of all that, is it would be a big job to repair it but I can live without it. The only time I would use recirculate would be in summer when it is hot and I want to use the Max AC. That is not all that often here in the GWN and I can live without it. My son is quite willing to repair it but it would be a big job. We would have to evacuate and recharge the air conditioner etc. plus take the whole dash apart.

I have an extended warranty so I could take it to the dealer but I am very reluctant to let their monkeys work on something like this. My son would put it back together in such a way that no one would ever know it had been apart. The dealer mechanics would take every shortcut known to man and the lord only knows what I might be left with afterwards.

End of the story for the moment. If any more parts break off in the heater box, then we may have little choice, but for now, I think it best to just leave it alone.

RB