Have you guys ever watched Andrew Camerata on YouTube? He occasionally
features some vehicle hackery. His current truck is a Dodge 2500 Cummins and
when the defrost flapper control broke he fixed it by cutting the front off the
dash off and putting a lever directly on the flap. Its kind of lame hackery but
kind of creative and interesting at the same time.
-Curt

    On Monday, February 3, 2020, 4:30:34 PM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 03/02/2020 1:30 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
> what years would be made the same poor way?    So we know to avoid them.
>
> Can you block it to just recirc?   That might be more useful in other
> climes.    On the 126, when the vac operator for the up/down flapper
> croaked, I just blocked the door open with a 2x4 block so my feet
> didn't freeze.

My truck is a 2013 F150 Supercrew XTR. I think that model was made
between 2011 and 2014. In 2015 Ford changed the style and started to
produce the aluminum body truck. I did not check, but I don't think my
model started in 2010.

However, who knows what they changed along the way. I was looking at a
Consumer Reports magazine last Monday night in a book store at their
ratings for used trucks and noted that they said my model year suffered
more issues with the heating and cooling systems than other years so it
might relate to something like this. Who knows for sure? Did they change
the heater box in some manner, or did they start using cheaper plastic etc.

It might also be an issue caused by the weather. If the sun melted some
snow that dripped down into the fresh air intake and that water froze
and created an ice dam that prevented the plastic flap from opening and
closing properly, the plastic might have been over stressed and that may
have caused the nub that I found to break off. The problem may never
happen in California.

I was thinking that there might be some way to move that flap back and
forth without the original setup. An old style choke cable type setup
might allow one to push and pull the flap open and closed without doing
a tear down of the whole dash but, as I said earlier, I think I can
likely live with it as it is so, as long as more parts do not break off
and fall in, I will likely just leave it bee.

RB