When I was at MIT 77-79 there was a fairly large contingent of Chinese
students, most grad students. A lot at Hahvahd too. I think they got up to
nearly half at some point, not sure now what the fraction is. Was similar at BU
too. They pay tuition cash with a premium so that’s attractive to the
administration. It always kinda bothered me that “we” educated our competition
to learn how to kick our @$$e$. I figured it would be better to allow them to
stay here so they could work and be entrepreneurs and capitalists but I guess
if they had families at home that could be leverage for them to support the
commie regime with whatever nefarious activities they were asked to do.

I had a buddy who taught and researched at Baylor in biology, whenever they
would post a job opening for a post-doc they would immediately get hundreds of
applicants from China, all with amazing resumes. They seldom hired one just
because it was problematic in several practical ways but the pool was extremely
large. He was quite liberal in his political beliefs but in this aspect was
quite jingoistic about US v. China.

Hong Kong business people seem to have had enough of the regime and are voting
with their feet...  that is a positive for “our” side.

Just remember that the top 10% of their high school graduates outnumber our
total high school population... and the culture strongly values education...

--FT
Sent from iPhone