The university population in Seattle during the 80’s and 90’s was made up of
many asian students. Mostly from Japan, and a sprinkle of Koreans who had the
cash to pay out of state.  They lived like standard college kids in the dorms
at first then move out as they became more mature.

With the hand over of Hong Kong, the population swiftly changed to mainland
Chinese, en masse. Most of the emigres were headed to Vancouver BC, but some
decided to invest in the Dot Com companies.  Then the Little Princes showed up
and forced the local students out of spots at the university.  They did not
live on campus, and the parents were paying close to $30k tuition to a state
school.

About a decade ago there were home shopping tours to pluck up housing for the
new students.  Mummies and Daddies would be driven around in black Suburbans by
Mandarin speaking realtor/investment types.  The modest home across the street
from me sold to one of those groups.  Like ants on a carcass they had asian
work crews crawling all over the house for a few months, then come Autumn,
there were an inscrutable number of young men in residence.  I could never
figure out if there were half a dozen or ten, as there was crack house traffic
comings and goings.  By Spring semester the high end cars started showing up.
Mostly BMW, Benz, Porsche, a few Mini (for the poorer kid) maybe purchased or
leased.  S class, 7 series, G wagon, AMGs, many drop tops moved through the
neighborhood.

Each beginning of school year would see another few sets of parents deposit a
child, and come summer, parents could be seen hauling one or another child
away.  The kids all looked the same to me, but for the spindly gal, 190cm tall
with coochie cut skirts, dressed in black.  I am pretty sure she did not live
there.

Some time in 2019 the asians moved out and I think keep the place as a rental
(current residents a young family) until another batch/horde of students can be
found.  It was a good investment, as the thing is valued close to seven figures
and purchased at $400k, due to the previous owner being a heavy smoker.

clay