A magneto Farmall didn't need a battery at all if you hand cranked.
12v conversion was the best thing we ever did, especially for a machine that
doesn't see a whole lot of use. We were going through a 6v battery every 3
years or so, I think we're at 4 years on the 12v battery. It also really whips
the engine over, especially good for that first start in the spring.
-Curt

    On Thursday, February 6, 2020, 12:26:55 PM EST, Jim Cathey via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 > I ran my Farmall H for years with non-functioning generator.  I could run it
 > all day, then charge it over night and run it all day again the next day on
 > a group 49 battery borrowed from an MB.

So your Farmall was converted to 12V?  Ours is 6V.
The only power drain on those is the ignition, if you
hand-crank it to start and don't use the lights.

-- Jim