Jim Cathey wrote:
<commentary>  Form an engineering standpoint, there is no reason a 126
relay should outlive a 123 relay, unless internal components were all
replaced with ones with a much higher MTBF. The 123 relays are known to
fail.   Any relay will cycle so many times, then fail.

I will bet money (not much!) that most any such failure is not the
moving parts, but rather a bad colder joint that has developed due to
vibration or thermal cycling, or a dried-out electrolytic capacitor.
Not related to the number of cycles at all.

Some 4-5 years ago I talked with a fellow that rebuilt KLIMA relays and made a good living doing so. He said that more than 75% of the "defective" relays he received as cores were perfectly good and most of the remaining 25% were repaired with a few passes with a soldering iron.

I have purchased KLIMA relays for three cars (after being told by others that had a lot more Mercedes service experience than I had that they were almost surely the problem) and in each case, the KLIMA was NOT the problem. So I have 3 KLIMA relays (for 3 different cars - most models have their own unique KLIMA).

I have loaned the relays to several other to test when they had problems - and in each case the problem was something OTHER than the KLIMA.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)