Not specifically liberal, I don't believe, although liberals are generally running it up more (the general conservative line is that we need to get more oil, instead). Problem is that we consume fantastic amounts of energy as burned fossil fuels, and there is currently nothing to replace them. Petroleum products as fuel for mobile vehicles are hard to beat -- quite sage, high energy density, and the combustion products are gases. Who wants clinkers falling (red hot) out of the back of your car?

Biofuels are a hope, but with the current US farming methods, there is some debate as to whether or not there is a net fuel gain -- I've been hearing for at least 20 years that more BTU are consumed in production of crops in the US that is present in the final product -- one must include the energy costs of producing herbicides, pesticides, the actual use of farm equipment, and the energy used to produce and transport the fertilizers.

A knotty problem, not well addressed by anyone currently, certainly not by advocating "hydrogen economies" as if the energy magically appeared.

Note that nuclear power is also not energy consumption free -- the energy needed to produce the fuel for the reactors, and the BTUs consumed to make all those cubic miles of concrete has to be added in -- quite likely the net gain is small or negative. After all, there is NO commercial nuclear fuel production to get numbers with. It's all done by governments, and they all have good reasons to distort the energy usage, if not downright lie about it.

Peter