> Meade wrote:

> I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a motor / generator to
> step-down from 24 vdc to12 vdc.  Need a 24vdc motor, turning
> about 1800 or 2400 RPM, probably you'd want at least 5 HP or
> so.  Couple that directly to an alternator from a car, and boom
> you've got 13.5vdc. -------------

And low efficiency!   A DC-DC converter would be _way_ more
efficient and handle changing load better.

If the loads are pretty constant you could power from each of the
two 12 V batteries.  The problem is that if the draw on the two
batteries is different the charging is at 24 V the charge will be
wrong for one - or both - of them.